Summer Camp Staff and Counselor Jobs
Camp Kippewa is a traditional 3 1/2 week sleepaway camp for girls in Maine that offers two sessions. Staff are employed for all 8 weeks of the summer.
For the 2015 season staff must be available continuously from June 16th through to August 15. Some staff may be required earlier depending on pre season training requirements in some program areas.
Kippewa creates a safe, fun environment to make friends with other girls, to learn social, artistic, and athletic skills, and to take childhood steps toward the independence of adulthood.
Kippewa carefully selects college-age women whom parents would want their daughters to emulate as summer camp cabin counselors. Warmth of personality, calmness, independence, quiet strength, inner confidence, and a strong work ethic are essential, along with teaching ability in several specialized activities. A minimum of one year of college is required for all staff members.
These outstanding young women come from all over the United States, and around the world, including Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Poland, Czech Republic, England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, Jamaica, Mexico, Canada, and more!
Our counselors are all hired in a combination role as specialists and as bunk counselors. Counselors teach classes throughout the day in one, two or more specific program areas. There are also several non-bunk staff jobs available, such as administrators and program directors, a medical nursing staff, office staff, dining hall staff and cleaning, maintenance and laundry staff. All Staff are required to be at least 18 years of age and completed their first year of college or the equivalent.
If you are interested in a summer camp job check out the rest of our website and complete our staff application on-line. You can also call us at 1-800-547-7392 or 207-933-2993 with any questions. We look forward to speaking with you!
The majority of our staff are hired as Camp Counselors.
Counselors at Kippewa all have a dual role.
- Live in a cabin with 8-10 campers and 2-3 other counselors
- Teach/coach in your activity area of expertise
90% of our staff hold counseling positions. Counselors are responsible for creating an environment that is fun as well as emotionally and physically safe.
Kippewa Counselors are teachers, big sisters, listeners, peacekeepers, coaches, cheerleaders, players, lesson-planners, confidantes, and role models. The responsibilities of a counselor can be compared to the job of a “working” parent.
You will be directly overseen by two supervisors, the Head Counselor, who oversees all aspects of a particular age group, and the Activity Head who oversees the activity area in which a staff member is teaching.
Living in a Cabin.
Supervision of a camper bunk (eight to ten girls, depending upon age) in conjunction with two or three other co-counselors on a daily basis, particularly during morning cleanup/inspection after breakfast, three meals, rest hour, evening activity, and evening preparation for bed. Counselors create a fun and safe bunk experience for each camper.
Teaching and Coaching.
Planning and supervising instruction in the six activity periods in the areas of a counselor’s expertise. Many of these activities will be taught by more than one staff member at once, and cooperative planning and instruction occurs frequently. ( move this list of activities higher up)
- Creative Fine Arts: Pottery/Ceramics, Stained Glass, Glass Fusing, Jewelry Making, Silversmithing, Screenprinting, Blockprinting, Digital Photography, Woodworking, Leatherwork, Fabrics, Costume Design, Painting and Drawing
- Performing Arts: Dance (Ballet, Hip Hop, Jazz, Modern, Lyrical), Drama (Acting, Performance, Stagecraft, Theatre Production)
- Athletics: Archery, Basketball, Field Hockey, Gymnastics, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball, Yoga
- Waterfront: Canoeing, Kayaking, Life Guarding, Sailing, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, Waterskiing, Lifeguards, Swim Instruction, Water Aerobics, Junior Lifeguard
- Outdoor Adventure: Camping, Climbing Wall, High/Low Ropes Elements, Hiking, Initiative Games, Nature, Orienteering, Tripping, Zip Line
- Equestrian Center: Hunt Seat Equitation, Stable Management, Horse Care
Click on the links below to read about other positions available at Kippewa.
- Camp Counselor
- Head Counselor
- Division Head
- Activity Head
- Program Team
- Office Staff
- Support Staff
- Nursing Staff