WHAT TO BRING
At Kippewa, we want the focus to be on fun, so we ask that our girls wear non-designer, “camp-friendly” clothing. Most girls wear cotton shorts and a t-shirt or tank top. Girls also need to bring appropriate footwear for whatever activity they are participating in. If trying an activity for the first time we do not expect specialized equipment but if a girl is a tennis player, for instance, she should bring her racquet with her to camp. While we do not require a uniform, we do ask everyone to bring two logo’d Kippewa shirts and two logo’d Kippewa shorts for special events and trips out of camp.
We have partnered with Amerasport for our uniform and other camp clothing.
We also partner with GruvyWear to offer high quality UV protection clothing, with or without the Kippewa logo. Use the code Save20Kipp to receive a 20% discount on your purchase.
A copy of our packing list is available here.
Bed linens and towels are provided at no additional charge. We provide sheets and blankets, please bring your own pillow and pillowcases. It can also be nice to bring a blanket or comforter to help personalize the space and make it feel “homey”.
Laundry is done once a week so plan on packing a week’s worth of clothing (factoring in extras and changes throughout the day for different activities) plus additional items that may be needed.
Fun dress-up clothing items for special events are always welcome, although not essential!
SENDING BAGS TO/FROM CAMP
For anyone using camp transportation (camp bus or transportation from the airport) we ask you to send your bags in advance.
There are three options for sending your bags to and from camp:
3. UPS/Fed-Ex. Several families with personal or business accounts with these carriers use them to send luggage to and from camp. If you choose to use one of these carriers you will need to provide your own labels.
If you will be bringing your daughter to camp, or picking her up, you are welcome to transport bags yourself!
GETTING TO/FROM CAMP
Kippewa provides complimentary rides to and from Portland, Boston, and New York. Parents are also welcome to bring their daughters to camp and are encouraged to pick up at the end in order to enjoy our Visiting Day morning and lunch.
Chaperoned Coach Buses to Camp
- Yonkers, NY – Cross County Shopping Center, departs at 8:00 a.m.
- Return timing is approximately 1:30 – 2:30 p.m. depending on traffic
- Darien, CT – 95N rest area, departs at 9:00 a.m.
- Return timing is approximately 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. depending on traffic
- Newton, MA – Newton South High School, departs at 12:00 p.m.
- Return timing is approximately 11:00 a.m.
Chaperoned Buses and Vans from Airports to Camp
Transportation is provided to / from Portland Jetport (PWM) and Boston Logan Airport (BOS) during designated times as specified below. Our staff can meet girls flying as unaccompanied minors at the gate.
- Portland (preferred) – arrive between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
- Depart between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Boston – arrive between 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
- Depart between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
Arrivals or departures outside of these windows need to be approved in advance and may require additional fees.
Driving to Camp
- Drop off day: Timing is between 1:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Parents are able to meet their daughters’ counselors and visit their bunk but we ask not to drag out the goodbye. It only makes it harder to separate!
- Pickup day: Arrival time for parents is 9:00 a.m. with lunch at 11:30 a.m. and departure immediately following.
Most parents choose to pick their children up at camp to enjoy our Visiting Day morning and lunch. It is a nice opportunity for campers to show their families around camp and introduce them to their friends and favorite activities.
Directions to Kippewa can be found here.
A list of Nearby Accommodations is available here for those families looking to drop off and/or pick up at Visiting Day. Please note, no pets of any type are allowed on camp grounds so please make plans in advance to board any four-legged friends.
STAYING IN TOUCH AT CAMP
Campers receive mail daily at Kippewa in the early evening, before dinner. All letters and large envelopes (up to size 9×12) are delivered to campers daily as received. Boxed packages are not allowed. Please check our package policy in the Family Handbook for details.
Campers are also able to receive one-way emails from parents through their myKippewa accounts. These emails are managed by our partner, CampMinder. All emails arriving before 11:00am will be delivered that day. Those received after 11:00am will be delivered to following day.
After the first week, campers are given the option of one outgoing 15 minute phone call to their parents. Not all families choose to schedule a call. Parents can schedule calls online through their myKippewa accounts once the session has begun to arrange the time and date of their call.