WHAT TO BRING
At Kippewa, we want the focus to be on fun, so we ask that our girls wear non-designer, “camp-friendly” clothing. Most girls wear cotton shorts and a t-shirt or tank top. Girls also need to bring appropriate footwear for whatever activity they are participating in. If trying an activity for the first time we do not expect specialized equipment but if a girl is a tennis player, for instance, she should bring her racquet with her to camp. While we do not require a uniform, we do ask everyone to bring two logo’d Kippewa shirts and two logo’d Kippewa shorts for special events and trips out of camp.
We partner with Amerasport for our uniform and other camp clothing.
A copy of our packing list is available here.
Bed linens and towels are provided at no additional charge. We provide sheets and blankets, please bring your own pillow and pillowcases. It can also be nice to bring a blanket or comforter to help personalize the space and make it feel “homey”.
Laundry is done once a week so plan on packing a week’s worth of clothing (factoring in extras and changes throughout the day for different activities) plus additional items that may be needed.
Fun dress-up clothing items for special events are always welcome, although not essential!
Here are some items we suggest to help with your packing needs:
- Equestrian gear and attire: specially selected by our riding director at Adams Horse Supplies.
- Duffels: Usually two large or extra large duffels will accommodate all of your packing needs. There is no need for wheeled duffels at camp. We recommend Amerasport duffels and L.L.Bean duffels, both are very popular with our camp families.
- Broad Spectrum Mineral Sunscreen – purchase through Camp Kippewa’s account and help support our lake!
- All natural deodorant – purchase through Camp Kippewa’s account and help support our lake!
- Bug Spray: Deep Woods Off – Our first choice. It’s effective against ticks and other bugs.
- If you prefer a non-deet version of bug spray, Sawyer Bug Spray is a good option.
- GruvyWear high quality UV protection clothing, with or without the Kippewa logo
For the sunscreen and deodorant above, 100% of all proceeds will be donated to Friends of the Cobbossee Watershed, a local foundation working hard to protect our beautiful lake! Any additional purchases from Beauty Counter through Camp Kippewa’s account will also be applied. You can learn more by reading our blog post around this topic.
TRAVEL AND BAGS TO/FROM CAMP
Summer 2021 we asked our families to bring their children to camp. Summer 2022 we anticipate providing buses from: Yonkers, NY; Darien, CT; and Newton, MA once again, in addition to transportation to / from Portland airport in Maine (PWM).
There are four options for sending your bags to and from camp:
1. Camp baggage company – details on the company we are partnering with will be coming soon! This company will provide door to door pickup and delivery of camp luggage.
3. UPS/Fed-Ex. Several families with personal or business accounts with these carriers use them to send luggage to and from camp. If you choose to use one of these carriers you will need to provide your own labels.
4. When bringing your daughter to camp, or picking her up, you are welcome to transport bags yourself!
Directions to Kippewa can be found here.
A list of Nearby Accommodations is available here.
STAYING IN TOUCH AT CAMP
Campers receive mail daily at Kippewa during rest hour after lunch. All letters and large, flat envelopes (up to size 9×12) are delivered to campers daily as received. Boxed packages and thick envelopes are not allowed. Please check our package policy in the Family Handbook for details.
Campers are also able to receive one-way emails from parents through their myKippewa accounts. These emails are managed by our partner, CampMinder. All emails arriving before 11:00am will be delivered that day. Those received after 11:00am will be delivered to following day.
After the first week, campers are given the option of one outgoing 15 minute phone call to their parents. Not all families choose to schedule a call. Parents can schedule calls online through their myKippewa accounts once the session has begun to arrange the time and date of their call.